I seem to want to write things this week. I should be working on models for my next video but I stop each night and seem to want to write something or other. This particular rambling popped into my head as someone posted about a platform named Second Life. I read the article and followed a bunch of links and ended up on an old forum I had seen created all that while back and saw a post about an application I have done some volunteering around named New World Studio. I saw the post and started thinking about the people there who mostly are different then the ones I remember there. I then thought of the avatar I created for distribution in New World Studio and my long line of usernames and thought how convoluted it has become as the years have gone by.
I have been on the internet for awhile now well more then awhile. I have actualy been on the internet before it was called that. Over time things change and people keep rearranging things.
Example – google is actually 15 years old. Once upon a time long long ago 12 years ago or more I got an adsense account yup my adsense is that old! I dont even remember if adsense was owned by google and I can’t even remember the conditions under why I got this account only that I got one.
At the time my virtual username was “ummax” but since then things have changed. I got involved in online communities and gaming and today my main username is urbanlamb and its about to change to something else as a result of googles change in how they do things (imagine that I am about to wear out another username). Now some people go around the internet assuming everytime they see a username its that one person. I found this out last year as some dude impersonated me on a service now gone and merged into another service I actually do have a username called blogtalk or blogradio or something.. something to do with video blogging. I remember the site was orange and some dude accused me of being some person named urbanlamb there or other and I was like “huh”. I later on during the weekend days later searched up this so called account that I supposedly had and found that the person didnt even live in the same country as me. I wonder if they ever figured out it was not me… Oh well moving on..
Getting back to the original thought that popped into my head about my internet timeline. I thought I would post it as google makes another change and I thereby accidently created a page with a name that will be swallowing up my username and poof there goes another identity (oh well time marches on). Over time google has bought up so many things now that on google I have about 5 different identities on their service as a result. What a mess! This does not include the present mess which I started on knowing it was google if that makes any sense. Most of these identites are a result of me creating gaming avatars and then writing on a blog as that avatar in some form of roleplay and creating and claiming that identity and carrying it around with the group of people I knew as that is what my name and identity was with those people. Yup its getting complicated!
So here goes
- 1992 – ummax was the very first the internet was like new then and that was my bnet and usergroup name
- 2000 – then I logged into an mmorpg named star wars galaxies and my second handle was born and ummax basically died I then became one Dlomiawek Iwek. It was created from a random name generator and everyone shortened it to Dlom. It was actually a pretty cool name but sadly Dlom is dead he died when that game died. R.I.P. Dlom (well actually I recreated him sort of in the new game by bioware but I played that game for like 3 minutes and found it boring and left so basically Dlom is dead!)
- 2004 – Someone told me about Sims Online and I got curious. I then became Slim Jammies that name has persisted for quite some time and is actually still regretably a handle I go by in a community that works around opensim and 3d development so that name is still alive but only a little bit because I changed it recenlty and I think people are starting to make the transition.
- 2006 – Wilhelm Neumann was born another name generated for an online community as a result of someone mentioning this platform when I was playing Sims Online. This not game was known as Second LIfe. I started doing some 3D work in Second Life & technically Wilhelm is still alive and perpetually offline as I logged out of Second Life for the last time in about 2009 if not earlier due to massive theft and my will to no longer deal with small direct sales of assets. To this day I refuse to create assets for money and I have been offered. NO way. If I create assets its for a company that purchases them on a contract and does what they see fit with them but really I am “retired” now so I just do stuff for kicks and giggles and NO MONEY. and.. After reading an article on a rather telling change in the TOS. It appears that Linden Lab is about to sell Second Life so I think Wilhelm will be going to pixel heaven soon by the looks of it. I must prepare for another Pixel Funeral now!
- 2007 – Urbanlamb was born to play a game known at Lineage I hated that game but the username was cool so I kept that, but at the time Slim Jammies was still my main name. I began to have issues as the online world changed and no longer was it taboo for a female to be involved in gaming, 3D development etc although we are still rare I am now finally (thankfully finally) known as a She which I am. And so my long trail of male avatars is slowly winding down to a slow trickle) - Urbanlamb still lives on and probably will be around for awhile longer in the communities I created that name on.
- 2009 PJTV was born OH MY another one what *have* I DONE! it will probably eventually replace urbanlamb I guess although I like urbanlamb but people are going to get confused so I might make the switch.
- 2011 – Marlene Pixel III was born on a whim to match my personal makup and be my alterego as I attempted to create a spoof of a program known as Master Piece Theatre on TV. Marlene Pixel III is me or how I would like to see me if I had perfect skin and used a lot of hairspray to keep my hair in place. I also created a sidekick for my alter ego known as Pixel Boy but I didnt use him very much although I might revive him for something or other in the future I guess. I dont think I will ever kill her off just reinvent her after all she is me!
Well that’s my timeline and what happens as one changes and evolves with the times and the great internet of doom like never deletes a danged thing we have these convoluted messes as the data is shuffled around and rearranged and seems to like sit there and get larger and larger as it rolls along like a giant tumbleweed of doom!
Remember this as you go surfing around the internet and look at usernames and names in general that there is more then one person per username. The planet earth is REALLY big so it goes to stand that if more then one person can be named Bob or Bill that usernames are not really particularly unique either and suddenly I am reminded of the movie known as Logan’s Run but we shall leave that for another time..:)